Volunteer With Us
At Citizens Advice Bury and Bolton we are committed to equal opportunities for our workers and clients, and welcome volunteers regardless of race, gender, sexuality or disabilities.
Our recruitment process:
- Application form
- A commitment to the aims and principles of the CAB service.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional and empathetic manner.
- A confident and articulate telephone manner.
- Being open and approachable.
- Ability to quickly sift through information and extract what is relevant.
- Basic mathematical skills, including percentages.
- Competence in using IT.
- A positive attitude to self-development and assessment.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Respect for views, values and cultures different from own.
- An understanding of why confidentiality is important.
- Ability to recognise own limits and boundaries in the role.
Volunteers will be expected to commit to a minimum of 1 day a week, or 2 half days a week (total: 6 hours) when training and subsequently when on rota. We expect volunteers to be able to provide their services for a minimum of 6 months after the training is complete.
The training will consist of some or all of the following as appropriate:
- Learning journals
- Computer-based bite-size exercises
- Computer-based e-learning
- Participative observations
- Group sessions
- Portfolio assessments
- 2 days course in Manchester
The duration of this training is approximately 3-6 months. You can complete some of the training at home if you so wish, e.g. computer-based bite-sizes and e-learning. However, you will still be expected to attend the training room 6 hours per week. This will enable you to meet fellow volunteers and members of staff, and benefit from the assistance and support of training supervisors.
Please note we are unable to provide training during the evening or at weekends.
Please contact us via email at email@example.com
Alternatively please feel free to fill in the form below and we will be in touch very soon.